Opening hours
Monday to Thursday, 10am to 3pm

How to apply for paternity allowance

You apply for paternity allowance by sending us an application. If you have several employers, you must send one per employer. The application form is called "Application for parental benefits, employee" and you will find it under "Forms". Please fill out the form with the requested information and send it to TAKS via Mínboks ( or by post to TAKS, Smyrilsvegur 20, Postboks 2151, 110 Tórshavn.

Learn more about the details of applying below. See also the section "Eligibility requirements".

Required documents

When you apply after childbirth
Please enclose a notice of birth with your application. It is called "Fráboðan um barnsburð" and is available at the hospital. It is possible that the mother already arranged with a midwife to send it after the child was born. In this case, it is not necessary to send it again. If you are uncertain, ask the midwife or the mother.

Please enclose a certificate of adoption from the High Commissioner of the Faroe Islands (Ríkisumboðið) with the application. The certificate must include the date of placement (the day when the child comes to live with the parents). If you apply for parental allowance for up to four weeks before the date of placement, you must also provide documentation of travel dates when you went abroad to bring back the child. This could be tickets, for example.  

B-wage earner
Please enclose pay slips for the last 12 months before the parental leave.

Application deadline

Submit the application for parental benefits to Barsilsskipanin within one year of childbirth/placement of your adoptive child. After this deadline, you have lost the right to paternity allowance. Your application will be processed as soon as your leave starts.

If you are on unemployment benefits from ALS, you should wait with applying until immediately before your leave, because ALS cannot confirm your application until this time.

Missing information

If we find that you did not provide all the required information in your application, we will notify you. Then you have 14 days, from the day you received the notification, to send us the missing information. If you fail to respond in this time, your application will be cancelled.

Duty to report changes

You have a duty to notify Barsilsskipanin of any changes in circumstance which might affect your allowance. This could be, for example, if you work during the paternity leave, if you move to another country, cannot stay at home with the child and so on.

Call Barsilsskipanin on 35 26 00 Monday to Thursday between 10 am and 3 pm. Alternatively, report the changes to TAKS via Mínboks or by post to TAKS, Smyrilsvegur 20, Postboks 2151, 110 Tórshavn.

If you provide Barsilsskipanin with incorrect information or if you withhold information, Barsilsskipanin can demand that you repay the received allowance.

Need help with the application?

Feel free to call our customer service on 35 26 00 Monday to Thursday between 10am and 3pm or send an e-mail to We are happy to help.