Opening hours
Monday to Thursday, 10am to 3pm

If you are working on a ship registered in FAS, you must take out a parental insurance policy to qualify for parental benefits

If you are a Nordic citizen and you are a working on a ship that is registered in the Faroese International Ship's Register (FAS), you must take out insurance to qualify for parental allowance. The insurance must have been valid for at least one year before you can receive any payments.

In addition, you must:

  • have earned an A-income with limited tax liability under the FAS-system,
  • either live in another Nordic country and are subject to Faroese legislation according to the Nordic Treaty on social security,
  • or live in Denmark or Greenland and are not entitled to parental allowance according to Danish or Greenlandic legislation.

How to take out the parental insurance 
Complete the application form "Parental insurance, Nordic citizens working under the FAS-system" and send it to Barsilsskipanin via Mínboks ( or by post to Barsilsskipanin, Postrúm 2151, 110 Tórshavn. You will find the application form under "Forms" in the bar above.

You may take out the insurance the day you start working on a ship that is registered in FAS, and you could be covered, at the earliest, from the day Barsilsskipanin receives your application.

Insurance premium
The insurance premium is 0.86% of the A-income you earn after the insurance is acquired as a limited taxpayer under the FAS-system. You will be billed at every payment of wages. 

You can cancel the insurance with a notice period of one month. The cancellation will take effect beginning the month after Barsilsskipanin receives your notice.